Canterbury Camping & Caravanning Club Site Bekesbourne Lane, Canterbury, Kent. CT3 4AB
This is a site that is open all year round - a few club members have been here before.
It is a very handy site for visiting Canterbury city - there is a bus-stop outside the site although you can walk in to the city in around 20 minutes - coming back to the site is a little longer as it is uphill! The city itself has its famous cathedral which is well worth a visit, there is a Roman Museum, St Augustine's Abbey, The Canterbury Tales (Chaucer visitor attraction), guided tours of Canterbury, historic river tours, various other museums, gardens and shopping etc.
As we will be here for 7 nights we can also take in visits to other places. Examples are:-
• Dover Castle (including the Secret Wartime Tunnels) - the largest castle in England
• Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway to Dungeness Old Lighthouse
• The Historic Dockyard Chatham (celebrating its 400th year in 2018) which includes three historic warships and the Victorian ropery; it is also filming has taken place for 'Call The Midwife', 'Les Miserables', 'The World is not Enough' and more.
• The Royal Engineers Museum, Gillingham (Kent's largest military museum)
• Leeds castle - 'The Loveliest Castle in the World' - with 500 acres of beautiful parkland and gardens
• Sandwich - England's most complete medieval town (accessible by bus from the site)
• Cycle on the 'Crab & Winkle Way' to Whitstable
• Howletts - the Aspinall Wild Animal Park
Obviously we would not be able to visit all these attractions - if anyone has any real preferences please let me know. I will look at group visits and coaches.
The Club have reserved 25 hard-standing pitches for us with electric hook-ups; the cost is £18.70 per night. All facilities are included.
The club has already paid a deposit for this site.